|Object Name||Drawing, Architectural|
|Title||Elevation of South Facade View of B.S. Miller Residence, Esq., Columbus, GA.|
|Artist||Brown, A. Ten Eyck|
|Medium||ink, pencil and watercolor on paper mounted on board|
|Image size||10-3/8 x 15-3/4 inches|
|Dimensions||H-14.375 W-19.375 inches|
|Signature||"A. Ten Eyck Brown/ARCHITECT"|
|Signature Location||recto, lower right|
|Makers inscription||Written across top, "RESIDENCE FOR B.S. MILLER, ESQ. WYNNTON/COLUMBUS-GEORGIA." Written in pencil in lower right, "A. Ten Eyck Brown/ARCHITECT" Written across bottom, "SOUTH - FRONT-ELEVATION"|
|Credit line||Gift of a Friend of the Museum|
Lawyer Brick S. Miller and his wife Mary bought a plot of land on the edge of Wynn's Hill and built a home in the Mediterranean Revival style designed by Atlanta architect A. Ten Eyck Brown in 1912. Brown created this Columbus home at the beginning of his career and later became well-known in Atlanta as a prominent architect of government and public buildings. In 1925, Miller swapped houses with his client W.C. Bradley, moving into the Bradleys' downtown home.
After W.C. Bradley's death in 1947, his daughter and son-in-law donated the 13-acre estate to the City of Columbus, asking that it be used for cultural, educational, and recreational purposes. Almost immediately, the Columbus public schools' main offices were moved to the Bradley home before the construction of a new administration building in 1956. A new public library was also built, opening on August 9, 1950. Eventually the school district and a non-profit group reached an agreement to operate a museum in the Bradley house, with the school district paying to remodel and maintain the building and the non-profit acquiring a collection and installing exhibitions focused on art and history. What eventually became known as the Columbus Museum opened its doors on March 29, 1953, and the original house is still present as the basis of a significant building expansion in the 1980s.
Columbus Museum History
The Columbus Museum